Saturday, October 5, 2013

Happy Birthday, Daddy!!

My dad is a truly remarkable dad. My brothers and I would not be where we are today without him in our lives. My mom is a nurse who worked shifts as we were growing up so a lot of time it was my dad who would be running the household. He woke us up each morning, fed us, got lunches and us ready for school, dropped us off, went to work (he's a teacher), picked us up, fed us and then began his nightly job of teaching us. As kids, we were always one step ahead of the other kids in our class in terms of our schoolwork (in school it was usually the second time we were exposed to the subject matter at hand). Never one to waste time, we would be reciting our times tables on the way to school or learning about the political situation in the country. I truly don't know how he did it... Let me tell you, in teaching Cassia to read (like two pages a day) has been an exercise in patience and he did that for more than 12 years! And then on weekends, he would cook up a storm if my mom was working and the four of us would clean the house. And he also woke up at about 4:30 am every morning to run... I am tired just writing all of this... and feel like a little bit of an under achiever as well!




From a child, he has encouraged the love of reading and learning in us. One of my favourite childhood memories is choosing my books as presents for birthday and Christmas. I still buy myself a new book for Christmas each year... and I've begun to do the same for Cassia too. We would always be up to date on current events as well. Even now, when I want to know what's going on politically in Trinidad, he's my go to person. 

Now as a grandfather, he takes every spare weekend he has to come to Canada to play with his grandkids. Still a teacher at heart, he is always quizzing Cassia and teaching her many different things. He takes them to the park and loves reading stories. And he always makes my favourite dishes as well. Of course even here, he still wakes up at 4:30,   reads the Trinidadian newspaper and goes to exercise. In his sixties, he is still the most energetic, diligent and conscientious person I know. 

Happy Birthday, Daddy! We wish you only the very best of peace, health and happiness for the upcoming year.... get some rest! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you makes me so happy!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...