Saturday, June 7, 2014

Summer Grilling- Oprah's Turkey Burgers

One of my favourite bloggers, Mix and Match Mama is having a link up on grilling. I first discovered Shay (through Reality Steve believe it or not) when her brother Sean was the Bachelor. Her easy optimistic family blog filled with kid stories, useful tips and immense devotion to her faith was one of those that inspired me to begin my own blog. And I also use  a bit of her recipes on her cooking blog. And she introduced me to Shaeffer, who makes me spend all my money, but I digress.

So anyway, my all time favourite grilling recipe is Oprah's Mar-a-lago turkey burgers. Now heads up, I love easy recipes and this is not a simple one---- maybe Shay can make it over! It's lots of chopping, cooking, molding, setting and grilling so I don't make it often but when I do, it is so worth it. The best turkey burgers I've ever had.

Here we go, taken from Oprah's website


Photo taken from Tasty Planner

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
  • 3 Granny Smith Granny Smith apples , peeled and diced
  • 1/8 cup canola oil
  • 4 pounds ground ground turkey breast
  • 2 Tbsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. black pepper
  • 2 tsp. Tabasco® chipotle pepper sauce
  • 1 lemon , juiced and grated zest
  • 1/2 bunch parsley , finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup Major Grey's Chutney , pureed

Directions
Sauté the scallions, celery and apples in the canola oil until tender. Let cool.

Place the ground turkey in a large mixing bowl. Add sautéed items and the remaining ingredients. Shape into eight 8-ounce burgers. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Season the turkey burgers with salt and pepper. Place on a preheated, lightly oiled grill. Grill each side for 7 minutes until meat is thoroughly cooked. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Serve with a side of Mar-a-Lago Pear Chutney and your favorite toasted bread, pita or hamburger roll.

A couple alterations I make:
  1. I don't serve it with the pear chutney cause it's a lot of work, I basically serve it with mayo mixed with chipotle powder, mustard and ketchup-- and homemade trini hotsauce and of course, lettuce, tomato, onions etc. Not pickles or cheese though, they differ in taste too much.
  2. I salt and pepper the sauteed veggies.
  3. Major Grey's Chutney and Tabasco chipotle pepper is hard to find everywhere. I think you can use another Indian mango chutney for a similar taste. Also, some sort of hickory smoke liquid or smoked chipotle powder would probably to the trick instead of Tabasco!
Enjoy!! I have to make these very soon!
As  another one of my faves, Kelly's Korner is having a grilling link up next week, this post will be a two-fer. Score!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you makes me so happy!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...